Recently, new data protection regulations in the European Union (General Data Protection Regulation – GDRP) are driving business owners to further improve and enhance they way they work with personal information. The Sugar Plum Sleep Company is currently in the process of reviewing it’s data handling practices to ensure that any information shared with us is held securely, used appropriately and only retained for as long as is necessary.
From time to time we collect information about visitors to the site and our clients. This type of information can include any one or more of the following:
- Information provided to us directly (like the on-line booking tool to set up your complimentary 15-minute consultation, any messages sent through the website, or forms that you complete prior to a private consultation);
- Information that is automatically sent to us by your computer’s internet browser when you visit our website (this would included your computer’s technical address);
- Information about how you use our website or our services, such as which pages you visit, how frequently you visit the site and so forth.
This following outlines how we collect, use and protect these forms of data.
What is considered Personal Data?
Personal data refers to any information that allows us to identify you personally. Your name, email address, postal codes address are considered to be personal data. We will always seek to gain your explicit consent to providing this information before we collect it from you, although this may not be the only legal basis on which we collect the data.
Other types of information, such as your computer’s ‘IP’ address or broad geographical location do not, generally, allow us to identify you directly.
If you choose to share your e-mail address, we’ll use it for personal correspondence, and to get in touch with you periodically to tell you about new research, notify you about blog posts that you might be interested in reading, promotional messages about our products and services, notifications about new video posts, and so on.
If you ever want us to stop sending you email, all you need to do is click on the “unsubscribe” link that you’ll find at the bottom of every message we send. (For personal correspondence, just reply with the word “remove” in the subject line.)
I never send email to people who haven’t given me their email address. And I never sell, rent, or share your information with anyone else. (I hate spam as much as anyone!)
Personal Information retained through on-line inquiries, e-mails and form submissions will be kept for a period of 26 months. We are actively working on reviewing electronic files to determine those older than 26 months. Files found to meet this threshold will be permanently deleted.
How is your data protected?
We take the security of all personal data very seriously, and that data is protected in a number of ways:
- Access control: access to personal data is strictly limited. Access is controlled by individual user accounts, where a strong password policy is enforced
- No soft copies: all information is kept in electronic format.
- Selection of third party service providers: we use a very limited number of third party service providers. These service providers help to make the business run more efficiently. We are currently in the process of obtaining written confirmation of our 3rd party services providers ability to provide secure systems and processes.
Types of Data Collected and the Use of Third Party Services
You can read more about how the Third Party Services I utilize protect your data here:
c/o The Sugar Plum Sleep Co.
Suite 323, 2510 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON, M4P 2H7
By e-mail: email@example.com
By telephone: 416-488-9684